GIVER – This Novel Study Unit for The Giver now includes both a print and digital version for distance learning! Engage your students with standards-based literacy activities as they read Lois Lowry’s acclaimed novel. Chapter-by-Chapter Response Pages challenge students to dig deep into the text to analyze and make inferences. Perfect for partner work, small groups, or remote teaching!
The DIGITAL version offers colorful, beautifully designed slides that allow students to type their responses into text boxes. Test and all quizzes are accessed with links to Google Forms, and are self-grading.
To access the DIGITAL version of this resource, you will find:
--a PDF with links to every resource listed for the unit
--directions for uploading the resources and using them with students
With both a print-and-go version AND digital, you'll be equipped for all teaching situations! Plus, you'll be able to differentiate according to your students' needs.
Teachers who have used this resource say
**“By far the best resource I have purchased. The reading response pages are amazing. I need this for every book I teach!”
**“This was a fabulous and very versatile resource. Useful for challenging students to make deeper connections.”
**“Love this resource! A must buy! So helpful and useful when studying The Giver!”
**“Excellent resource with higher level questions, close reading, inferences, etc. Thanks for this great work!”
**“This was wonderful! It is both engaging and challenging! I especially love the chapter response pages.”
**“My favorite purchase on TPT. Everything in the unit is engaging and hits on the skills I am looking to teach. This unit made my job so much easier and I highly recommend this to anyone looking to teach The Giver.”
This Complete Novel Study Contains:
1. “UTOPIA MIND MAPS” Pre-Reading/Anticipation Activity – In small groups, students brainstorm and complete two mind maps describing the creation of their own utopia.
2. CHAPTER-BY-CHAPTER RESPONSE PAGES – These Response Pages contain questions and prompts in varied formats that reflect standards-aligned skills such as citing text details and evidence, making inferences, analyzing figurative language, summarizing, author’s tone, character’s point of view, analyzing dialogue and important passages, setting, text features, character traits, character change, and plot development. Students enjoy working on these pages with a partner or in small groups—they are a great way to get students discussing the novel.
3. COMPREHENSION QUIZZES – 5 Reading quizzes to use for quick comprehension checks. Quizzes are grouped as follows: Chapters 1-5, 6-10, 11-14, 15-18, and 19-23. The first one is a 20-question matching quiz, and the other 4 quizzes are 10-question multiple choice. Digital version created in Google Forms (not Microsoft compatible).
4. GIVER FREE-WRITES – 12 Journal-style writing prompts on attractive slides and a Free-Writes Log for student responses. Great discussion starters! Two differently-spaced log styles are provided for differentiation.
5. VOCABULARY STUDY – 50 words – Grouped by chapters - Students study the definitions given, then fit the correct words into provided sentences, and choose 2 words to illustrate per page.
6. VOCABULARY QUIZZES – Five quizzes, grouped by chapters, that match the word listings on the vocabulary pages. Digital version created in Google Forms (not Microsoft compatible).
7. DETERMINING THEMES IN THE GIVER – This graphic organizer allows students to examine 4 “theme topics” from The Giver and then determine 2 specific themes.
8. PLOTLINE ORGANIZER - A visually attractive 2-page organizer with descriptions provided for the terms Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action, and Resolution and plenty of room for student responses.
9. CONFLICT IN THE GIVER – Students cite examples of conflict in the novel, including man vs. man, nature, society, and self.
10. THE GIVER - OBJECTIVE SUMMARY – Students practice Common Core Reading Standard R.2 by determining key events from and then summarizing a particular chapter in the novel.
11. GIVER WRITING TOPICS – An End-of-Novel Writing Assignment with 2 topic choices (narrative) and graphic organizer examples. Includes grading rubric.
12. “ILLUSTRATE A QUOTATION” ACTIVITY – An artistic and literary activity, with full steps and directions, in which students choose a vivid scene from a list provided and locate a meaningful quotation or passage to illustrate. This mini-project makes a beautiful wall display! (AVAIL. IN PRINT VERSION ONLY)
13. GROUP PROJECT: PLAYLIST FOR JONAS – A technology-infused group activity in which students create and present a 5-song playlist of music meaningful to Jonas in his new environment. Students include a rationale for each song chosen. Complete step-by-step instructions and organizers, plus easy scoring sheet.
14. TEST on Novel – Multiple Choice, Matching, T/F comprehension questions (50 questions total). An additional copy is provided without answer blanks if you choose to use a separate Scantron-style answer sheet. Digital version created in Google Forms (not Microsoft compatible).
15. BOOK vs. MOVIE COMPARISON ANALYSIS – Students view the movie version of The Giver and compare/contrast with the text version using this organizer.
16. EXCERPTS FROM NEWBERY ACCEPTANCE SPEECH for use with ending interpretations
17. ANSWER KEYS
18. TEACHER GUIDE and COMMON CORE STANDARDS
This resource is ready to print and hand out to students the minute you download it, or deliver the lessons digitally! If you are looking for high-quality, standards-based materials to keep your students on track and engaged with all the key ideas as they read, look no further.
Please open the PREVIEW.
(The print version downloads as a zip file with PDFs.)
You may also enjoy teaching with:
---Yes! Join my list to receive Teaching Tips, New Product Updates, and FREEBIES from Joy